Stay bite free this summer!
By Kade Hanson
We all love a nice summer day. Hikes, picnics, swimming, and countless of outdoor activities! It all sounds great, doesn’t it?
However, many of us forget that along with the nice weather, and recent rain, mosquitos are on the rise. Here are a few helpful tips aimed at avoiding these little vampires while enjoying your summer!
- Use a fan when you are outside. Mosquitos will not be able to keep up with the cooling breeze, leaving you comfortable and bite free!
- The new style is being bug free, there are clothes available that have built-in bug repellent.
- Taking a shower before going outside might sound a bit strange, but mosquitos can be attracted to your body odor. Showering can give you an advantage!
- Remember that mosquitos love standing water and they only need the smallest amount to reproduce. Make sure you clean out your birdbaths and rain catchers every couple of days. Don’t over water your plants and clean out the excess water from your pots. Also, check your gutters to make sure there is no blockage that could hold water. This will keep mosquitos from reproducing in your own backyard!
- A misting system may sound like a luxury but imagine having a barrier around your backyard. A misting system keeps mosquitos away while you enjoy the outdoors.
- Be wary of shade! Yes, we love the shade on a hot summer day but so do our bloodsucking friends. Take precautions because you can bet there will be mosquitos enjoying it too.
- As travel in our world grows rapidly so does the spread of disease. People can transport viruses around the world and not know it. Mosquitos are great hosts for sickness and good at spreading it. Even though rare, mosquitos can carry West Nile virus, Zika virus, encephalitis, chikungunya, dengue fever, yellow fever, and more. Using these tips to avoid being bit is your best defense.
- Bug repellent is the silver bullet! Mosquitos and other pests are more likely to stay away from you when you’re using bug repellent.
- Lastly, be aware that your diet has an effect on mosquitos! What you eat and drink can attract them. Alcohol and sugar make your body emit an odor that mosquitos love. Stay away from those sugary foods and drinks or else you might be a mosquito treat!
Summer is a time to enjoy the outdoors with friends and family. Don’t let mosquitos ruin it! If you want more information on repelling mosquitos check out these links!
10 Tips to Get Rid of Mosquitoes! 3 Secrets to Beat Mosquitoes Don’t Let Mosquitos Bug You this Summer